Illinois Breastfeeding is Smart Business
Businesses in Illinois can be recognized as “breastfeeding friendly” through the Breastfeeding is Smart Business program of the Illinois State Breastfeeding Task Force. Check out these materials from the statewide task force (materials tab), including the recognition program guidelines and application, or see recently updated guidelines from the Jackson County Health Department below.
Business Case for Breastfeeding
The HHS-Office of Women’s Health created the Business Case for Breastfeeding as a comprehensive program to educate employers about the value of supporting breastfeeding employees in the workplace. The resource includes a toolkit with sample policies, action steps, posters, resources, and resources for program managers.
Additional Resources for Worksites
Employers and worksites can do a lot to support breastfeeding families. Additional resources are below.
- HHS- Office of Women’s Health: Supporting Nursing Moms at Work. This resource is for businesses interested in supporting nursing mothers and includes tips on cost-effective strategies and time and space solutions.
- Making it Work Tool Kit: Employers Support Breastfeeding Families. This resource from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services helps breastfeeding mothers return to work. It is designed to provide assistance to breastfeeding mothers, their employers and their families.
- Making it Work: For Employers. This resource from the New York State Department of Health provides a toolkit for businesses that includes information on the benefits of breastfeeding, workarounds for nontraditional businesses, and sample policies and checklists.
- Jackson County Health Department (JCHD) Breastfeeding-Friendly Recognition Program Materials:
- Breastfeeding/Lactation Support and Policy example. This sample employee maternity leave packet from Live Well San Diego includes a work lactation policy, insurance/benefits guidelines, and tips for returning to work.