Pump Up P.E.: Promote Health, Learning & Lifelong Fitness is the Illinois Public Health Institute’s (IPHI) professional development program for Illinois P.E. teachers. The program offers trainings and technical assistance on implementing high-quality enhanced physical education (EPE) programs that prepare students for a lifetime of health and fitness.
Specifically, after attending a Pump Up P.E. teacher training program and/or technical assistance session, teachers will have the capacity to:
- Increase moderate-to-vigorous physical activity levels in P.E. classes through classroom management and activities
- Align curricula to the revised State Learning Standards on Physical Development & Health
- Administer the required Illinois fitness tests and use the data to improve P.E. programming
- Teach the brain/body connection – getting students to ‘own’ their fitness
- Champion P.E. and wellness efforts in schools, districts and communities
This program was developed by Illinois P.E. teachers for Illinois P.E. teachers, with guidance from an advisory committee of former members of state task forces on fitness testing and enhanced P.E. Advisory Committee members included representatives of P.E. teachers, principals and school officials, as well as health and disease prevention advocates, and those with operational expertise on teacher training and fitness testing.
Pump Up P.E. trainers and program developers
Originally developed as part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-funded Healthy Hotspot initiative led by the Cook County Department of Public Health (CCDPH), and later bolstered with additional funding by the Illinois Department of Public Health, IPHI built a cadre of 20 experienced P.E. teachers/trainers that has delivered 37 trainings to nearly 900 teachers from over 300 districts across Illinois. Watch a video about the project here.
Pump Up P.E. Program Reach:
At least one P.E. teacher from the counties and regions shown in color below has attended a Pump Up P.E. training:
A program with proven results:
An independent evaluation by the Consortium to Lower Obesity in Chicago Children found statistically significant increases in:
- Knowledge and capacity of teachers trained through this program
- Physical activity levels in P.E. classes at schools that sent teachers to the training and other professional development opportunities
Learn more about the benefits of this program here.
Promote Health, Learning & Lifelong Fitness in your Region!
Interested in bringing a Pump training or technical assistance sessions(s) to your region? We offer a variety of options to fit your budget and needs!
Upcoming trainings/opportunities: Sign up for updates/information!
- There is one final free suburban Cook County training (August 9th in Flossmoor) – only two spots left!
- There will be two more free trainings in central/southern IL in fall 2017 (locations/dates TBD)
- There will be a Springfield training (for a charge) in November 2017
- Stay tuned for a fall webinar on enhanced P.E. updates and implementation support
- New resource: Quarterly Pump Up P.E. e-newsletter with enhanced P.E. updates and professional development opportunities.
Question or concerns? Email Sarah Chusid, Enhanced P.E. Program Specialist or call (312) 850-4744.